Mozilla’s new Wagtail-powered global giving platform
The multilingual, multi-currency donations platform that handles millions of transactions per year, powered by Wagtail.
Mozilla Donate is a tangible way for supporters across the world to support Mozilla and fuel the movement for a healthy internet.
Already big Wagtail fans and users, Mozilla replatformed Donate to Wagtail to provide a secure, positive, uplifting and seamless experience for Mozilla donors.
The goals of the platform were to:
- Enable the Mozilla team to create multiple variants of donation landing pages, forms, and thank you content - each tailored to individual campaigns throughout the year.
- Make use of multivariate testing to nudge up average donation values.
- Be multilingual and multi-currency for a global audience.
- Handle multiple payments options.
- Easily scale to over a million transactions per year.
- Integrate with key business workflows (like their Salesforce CRM).
- Be open source!
What’s under the hood
Wagtail CMS provides a flexible foundation for the Mozilla team to manage their campaign pages and a first-class editorial experience. Donate is integrated with key back end systems like Salesforce and Mozilla’s existing translation workflow to provide a multilingual solution (see pages for France and Germany).
For payment processing, Mozilla selected Braintree Payments, which seamlessly handles the multi-currency requirement.
Mozilla is supporting the further development of internationalised content and translation workflow in Wagtail. Wagtail-localize has been released as an official Wagtail app and will become the standard way to build internationalised Wagtail sites in the future.
Mozilla is also continuing to work through a backlog of improvements to the platform, like adding Google Pay and Apple Pay and extending Wagtail’s A/B testing features to run variants of the same page to improve conversions.